Tuesday, April 28, 2009

She Was A Queen

My father always told us we were descendants from the French royal family. His father was born in Alsace-Lorraine, France, so maybe he was right and maybe not. I really do not know. His cousin who gave us the rocker, went to France to look up the family tree, but I never knew the outcome of that trip. However my sister (whom I shall call R.V.) took it all to heart and was sure that is who we were, descendants from the French throne.
Therefore she was dubbed with the nickname, “Queenie” whenever one of us thought she was too high and mighty for her own good. She did actually think she was a bit superior to the rest of us. She always carried herself well, dressed well, and gave the impression of being aloof. Her first impression of people was a raised eyebrow. She never participated in doing menial jobs. That was left to the rest of us. She either feigned illness or she planned a fainting spell. No matter what, it always worked for her. I have told before her fainting stories, so I will not repeat that. When she was grown and on her own, you never wanted to drop in on her without first calling or you would be greeted at the door very coolly. On rare occasions she might greet you with a smile, but not often unless you called first and made sure she would be available for a visit. She did however, love all of us and if we needed help she was always there for us. Her advice was always sensible and good. Sometimes she was a peacemaker between sisters. My younger sister will tell you how good R.V. was to her. One Christmas. Roo had invited all of us for Christmas dinner, but had said the younger one, (Barb) was not invited because Roo said she had too many kids. She had five. In that case R.V. (who had four kids) decided to stay home, cook dinner, and invite Barb to her house. I heard they had a great time. My sister R.V. was not the best mother in the world. Most of the parental upbringing was left to the rest of us. Myself, Roo, and my mother, had all taken turns in the rearing of her children. She would just drop them off, say she could not handle them and take off. She never left the girl, just the boys. R.V’s older daughter grew up to change her first name as she said she wanted nothing her mother had given her. She even moved far away so she would not be near her. Although I am sure all R.V's children loved her, they never respected her. I thought she was the prettiest in the family and I always thought she looked so beautiful. I used to say when I grow up I want to be like her. R.V. was so very regal. She would have worn a crown well. Maybe she was a Queen!

No comments:

Post a Comment