Sunday, April 19, 2009

Not Cinderella's Sisters.

Here is a little bit about how I felt about each of my sisters and one brother. Of course I am telling you right away that I absolutely loved them all, but there were times when I did not like some of them so very much. My oldest half sister was such a jewel. As the old saying goes," she would give you the shirt off her back if you asked." There was not much she couldn't do either. She could take a hammer and nail in hand and build something, she could fix a car and she did not hesitate to crawl under one to do it. She did not fare so well in her love life though, and she did not take good care of herself and therefore died at an early age. I do not know exactly how old she was, but I have determined she was in her fifties. It seems like she was fifty five. She was a heavy drinker and all her many boy friends were drinkers also. She got along very well with them until she married, and then it all fell apart. Four husbands she had. When she died there was a long list of ailments on her death certificate that claimed to contribute to her death. A truly beautiful person with a heart of gold and a love of people cut down way too early from the abuse of the bottle. The next oldest half sister was equally as beautiful, not necessarily in looks, but inside her heart and soul. I have to say, she was the prettiest of the three though, cute and perky. She had such a delightful way about her. When she greeted you it made you feel so very special because it was so genuine. Almost like she had not seen you in years. Now here was another talented lady. Not much she could not do either. She would always say, "I can do that!" and she did! She took hammer in hand and helped put shelves up in her daughter's gift shop and helped prepare it for a grand opening. In the way of crafts, you name it and she did it. We are most amazed at her paintings though, which she did up into her nineties. I did not meet her until I was about fourteen years old but we seemed to have a closeness to each other whenever we had a chance to meet. When she moved closer to us, I know I was her favorite as we had so much in common. We shared crafts and the love of our gardens. She was still very, very active when she passed away ate age ninety six. My third half sister, like the other two was a hard worker and a giver. She would give it to you if you admired it. She was a lover of the outdoors and would take gun in hand and hunt with her one-armed husband, who was a cracker jack shooter. He taught me how to use a gun and after his teaching I could most always hit my target. Her husband, with only one arm, could always bag his deer in season, so they had plenty of meat for the winter. They lived in and owned a hotel on a beautiful lake so they were fishermen also. She too was a talented person and I have many pieces from her crochet work. Unfortunately, she too liked her bottle. When she came for visits, she always had it with her. She openly said she loved us all, but my oldest (full) sister was her favorite. That is where she stayed when she came. They were closer in age, but they both loved to play bingo also. Her downfall was her son.
She could not say no to him or tell him to get out and get a job, so little by little she sold off her acreage to help him in tight spots. She eventually had a small plot of land with a mobile home on it and bought him one also to live close by. Her husband had long passed on. I guess she was not badly damaged by the bottle for she was eighty seven when she left us. They were truly wonderul women who were born by a pioneer lady who passed on her strong will and love of hard work and accomplishments to them . They were by all standards beautiful. Next blog you will meet my other sisters and my brother. Stayed tuned!

1 comment:

  1. Hi there,
    Finally got back on line and read your latest blog. Keep going as you leave me high and dry and anxious to read more.
    I'll look again tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete