Monday, March 30, 2009

The Madam Was A Lady!

I said in one of my comments that I did not write today, but this very special person is looking forward to having her coffee in the morning and reading my blog, that I am going to do a short one just for her. It is 10:30 P. M. but what the heck, I have no place to go and can sleep as long as I want. Well not really, but it sounds good, doesn't it. Every time I decide to sleep in, I wake up at my usual time and can't get back to sleep. Excuse me! I sure got off the track, didn't I? Sorry about that! We left Tenth Street and Healdsburg Avenue to move to Davis Street. Our home on Tenth is long gone and business buildings have taken its place. You really do not see old Santa Rosa at all anymore. That is a story down the road. Nothing much to write about from Davis street. We moved on to Dutton Avenue where I have lots of memories. I was going to High School then and one of my girlfriends and I used to stand on the corner near our homes and Sebastopol Avenue, (where she lived) look across the road to Roberts Avenue, and try to figure out what all went on in that big house that was ominously sitting there. You see, it was a house of prostitution and we were not all that knowledgeable back in those days, and it held a great fascination for us. We used to guess at what we thought was happening there, and although we were not completely stupid, details, that's what we wanted. It remained a mystery until we grew a little older and wiser. I never mentioned earlier on that I also attended a grammer school called Lewis school. (today it is an adult school that teaches a lot of subjects for adults, willing to learn. Especially the computer) Well, at that school was the daughter of the madam at the prostitution house. Her name was Dolly and she had as blonde a head of hair as you can imagine. I think back now and wonder if it was actually bleached. Regardless, I befriended her and my parents welcomed her to our house for visits with me. I met her mom once and she was a great lady. She was blonde also and very pleasant and kind to me. My dad had always said that he would not raise his girls in a town without prostitution as he felt they would be safer. At that time it made great sense. I do not think in today's times that it would make much difference. That was long before we moved to Dutton Avenue. I know the friendship was short and I do not remember why, but I would guess because we were moving around so much and I was changing schools. Anyway, that is it for now and I will be back soon. Enjoy that coffee! You know who you are! Love ya!

No comments:

Post a Comment