Sunday, March 29, 2009

An Affair With A Cup Of Coffee.

Our next move was to the corner of Healdsburg Avenue and Tenth Street. I attended Junior High School and some High School at this address. I also earlier had attended a grade school called Freemont which was on the corner of College Avenue and North Street. It is now a Junior High School. On Humboldt Avenue I attended a Junior High School which is now something else also ,but am nor sure what. At this school is where I had my first crush on a boy. he came and walked me to school everyday until some other girl caught his eye and he dumped me without so much as a "See ya!" I don't recall being upset for very long, but I do recall being somewhat embarrassed. I did not have any good comebacks when kids asked, "what happened between you and Noah Meade?" Lots of fond memories from this school and I still reminisce with school chums who are still around to chuckle with. I am loaded with High School memories. Santa Rosa High School is where I went. But first about my dad. He went to work for the W.P.A. working on the road crew. It was hard work, but he had a family to care for and he never complained. Someone saw potential in him and he was taken off the road crew and into the office. Everything was fine until a scandal hit the front page of our local news paper. My dad was accused of having an affair with a woman in the office, but his defense was she fainted and all he did was to catch her. His picture and hers was on the front page. I am not too sure of the whole story as it was kept secret from me, but I do know it was the most embarrassing episode for me at school. Somehow we all survived and my dad went on to get into politics and run for County Clerk in our town. He did not win, but declared there was something "hanky panky" going on with the voting results. He must have been right as the man who won, whose name was Sanford, took off on the run somewhere and the sheriff was looking for him. There was a joke going around at the time that the Sheriff was in the coffee business. He was "chasing Sanborn." For those of you who do not know, there is or was a brand of coffee called Chase & Sanborn. Don't choke on that one when you swallow. Well no one caught Mr. Sanborn because he up and committed suicide. I have no memory of why or any of the details, but apparently my dad was right. However, the next person, who was said to be the next person in line for the office, was elected to the office. His name was Walter Nagle. What a great man he was and he became a very good family friend. It might be interesting to search and see what the whole story was. Or....maybe I would not want to know. Hmmmm!

3 comments:

  1. Wow! I look forward each day to reading your writings. Don't worry...I WILL continue to "stick with you" on this life journey of yours. Until tomorrow morning when I have my coffee while reading your blog....stay safe.
    Lani

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just to let you know I'm still here and enjoying. More comments after
    I read them in the morning. I love you for doing this!!!!!!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was not going to write today as I had things to do, but decided I would do it for you tonight anyway. Your comments make it more fun for me. Thanks so much. There is lots more to come!
    Babe

    ReplyDelete