Thursday, March 26, 2009

Do You Know Santa Claus?

Hopping away from the hop fields was a move into Santa Rosa to a lovely old house on 13th and St. Helena. We were right on the edge of Santa Rosa's elite. The house was owned by a doctor who was the kindest most generous person I have ever known He was so kind and giving to our family in a time of need. At Christmas time he presented us with a very large basket of food. His name slips my mind right now, but I will always remember his kindness. At this time my father was working selling radios door to door. It was called the "Kemper Kompak." Interesting reading about this radio and its beginning can be found on the internet. My most vivid memory of this home was that I was told at Christmas time my folks could not afford the tricycle I wanted for Christmas. However there it was Christmas morning sitting under the tree all colored bright red and just calling out for a ride on the sidewalk out front. What a joy that was, and how fast I flew along on that beautiful little tricycle. I can still see the great big smile on my dad's face as he watched me peddle down the street. My memory is a bit foggy as to why we left there and moved to Santa Maria. What I remember about Santa Maria is the beautiful beaches. Not much else. Our stay there was very short until we moved back to Santa Rosa to a house on the corner of Orchard Street and Cherry Street . I have a few memories of that stay that are a bit amusing when I look back. Across the street was a big church that had a railing all around the middle of it. The railing was maybe a couple of inches wide. We would climb up somehow, hang onto the siding indentations with our fingers, put our feet onto the railings and scoot along as far as we could to see how far we could go before falling off or getting caught and told to get down. I also remember one time I was standing on the side walk watching cars go by when I picked up a rock and threw it at a car. I did not know my mom was hanging curtains in the kitchen window and saw me. Boy, did I get it. I never threw rocks again. Cherry Street was where I learned that Santa was not really who I thought he was. He was my daddy! That is because my dad played Santa at the old Rosenberg Store and when I was taken to see him, there was no denying who the guy with the big brown penetrating eyes was. I never told that I knew until Santa Claus was mentioned one night and I blurted out, "Oh my daddy!" All eyes turned to me and the dreams and beliefs of a little girl were gone! Well, here we go again. Another move.
This time we moved to Fulton. Fulton is just a small town North and almost connected to Santa Rosa.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Blanche, Well I missed a couple days, but am back, and hooked. I'm enjoying reading of your life and can't wait till the next one. Love you,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. YOU ARE SO SWEET. Thanks for staying with me! Love you too!
    Blanche

    ReplyDelete