Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Honest To Goodness!

Once in a great while when I come home from grocery shopping, There will be something I bought and paid for, but did not get home with. I am telling you that for sure I tell them about it on my next trip and want it to show up in my grocery bag this time without charge. So, last Saturday when I went shopping there were two ladies in line ahead of me. They had not one, but two baskets loaded with groceries and several cases of drinks. They were pleasant ladies and smiled and acknowledged me. I am sure their bill must have been $300.00 or at least near that. My turn came and I visited with the nice guy at the check out stand, gave him my coupons and my Safeway card(which cuts down the price considerably) and said, "No thanks" to the "Do you want help out?" question. When I got home, I sat for a minute, (that's because grocery shopping poops me at my age) then proceeded to put my things away. Out of one shopping bag came one of those green net bags with about 6 or 7 ( I did not count) avocados in it. Wow! Do I love avocados! But hey! I did not buy avocados. Did I mention I love avocados? Oh, yes, I did. Well that is a nice surprise and gift to me. I am sure I could manage to eat all of them over a period of time without them going bad. Then I said to myself, "Do you remember how upset you get when you get home and something is missing? Do you really think these are now yours? Can you eat them with a good conscience? Prices in the store go up because of dishonesty and theft, so if you keep them, you are contributing. O.K! I will take them back, and I did. The guy at the customer service counter was flabbergasted and praised me for being so honest. He did not have to do that, but I guess his surprise made him say it. He was almost sure the owners of the avocados had come back to reclaim them and was given another bag. Well, maybe they had and maybe they had not, but one thing I know for sure is that I felt like a helium balloon floating on air. I had forgotten what a great feeling it is to be honest! Now I love avocados, but even better I like the feeling being honest gives you. It is hard to explain and this is really a small act of honesty, but it still feels good. Can you imagine how I would have felt if it had been a bigger deal. Love that feeling! Try it, you will love it!!

3 comments:

  1. Please inform Cary that my heart goes out to him on losing Missy. I too, am an amimal lover and share my home with eight (8) cats, all spoiled rotten and are well taken care of as my vet bills certainly speak to that. Over $2,000.00 to date this year. I also have a standard Chihuahua, Bailey, who is 8 lbs. and Max my 28 year old cockatiel. Having lost many members of my animal family through out the years, has never diminished the pain I feel within my heart for each loss. My prayers go out to Cary and I am sure that he will acquire another companion to share in his life as soon as he heals from the loss of Missy. She will always remain within his heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having gone to the grocery and coming home with misssing items way to many times to remember, I applaud your actions in returning the merchandise. Often, it is several days after the purchase that one remembers that they should have an item to make a certain recipe, however, they can no longer find it, not realizing that although they purchased the item, the person bagging their groceries had failed to bag that one item. Both the Cashier and the bagger should be trained to take extra care in checking that all merchandise has been bagged and given to the customer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. BLANCHE, KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK BY WRITING IN YOUR BLOG! Their are 5 for the month of July, however, I like the totals in March (11) and April (17). Wow! You have lived such a colorful life and I know that within you lie many, many stories of interest that folks like myself would enjoy reading. Come on, make my day!! Love Ya.

    ReplyDelete